Product

Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 26th through February 1st..Something Big

At the end of last TRI season I told myself that my big goal for 2014 would be to finish the Firmman Half Ironman in September.  Still being new to the sport, I figured earlier races would give me a good indicator of whether or not I was ready to take on something more.  My biggest test would be the Oh My Goddard Olympic Distance Tri.  Well, like everything else, plans have changed. In the middle of last week Trimom came out with the Rhode Warrior Half Ironman Triathlon slated to take place on August 24th.  If you registered for the race within two days of the race's announcement, you could hand yourself a $45 discount.  Since TRIs and most races aren't cheap, I try to take advantage of any savings I can get.  Not to mention I've been hanging out with that nut Gazelle and he's doing it too, so I had to sign up!  TRI training just got real!

Sunday: am-1300yds at LA Fitness..400 warmup, 4X100, 8X50, 100 cooldown.  Short, but very solid effort. After the swim, headed to Yale with Shara to watch her alma mater Mount Holyoke play Squash.  Interesting game.
pm-4 miles in 27 minutes on the dreadmill in my basement.  Based off of my outstanding schedule and this week's weather forecast, I better get used to basement training.

Monday: Hard Effort Run..6.37 miles..38:56..comes out to 6:06 pace.
Hit Moonlight & Urso Hills, onto Shore Rd, back through Weekapaug.  Swirling winds and the relatively hard pace left me breathing hard by the time I finished..jogged light w/Lulu to finish up for 7 on the day.

Tuesday: 4 miles on the treadmill..27:15..progressed from 730 first mile to 620 last mile.
45 minute Spin Class with Gazelle at the Y.

Wednesday: am 90 minute delay means I get to play..4 miles in the snow at an easy pace..didn't see one car, plow, or person.
pm. 8X Hill Pops..3+ miles.

Thursday: 4+ miles easy on local roads..30 minutes. Dealing with some kind of not so fun medical thing. Later in the evening I met up with an injured SHS Track Runner, who has Morton's Nueroma, at the Y for some aqua jogging. The kid qualified for the State Meet, but has been battling this nasty injury for a few weeks now.  We aqua jogged for about 35 minutes and I swam 400yds afterwards.

Friday: 430 Club with Boumenot (minus Gazelle) on local roads from my house.  The run was at a nice conversational pace and we even made a stop at Seaside to see if Crutch would be waiting for us down there.  Turns out, Crutch was no where to be found.  I'm assuming he was at Gazelle's place ringing on the doorbell and yelling, "Wakey, Wakey!"

pm. Swim Session..500 warmup, 2X200 at medium pace, 5X100, 1X100 kick, 4X50, 100 cooldown
Total: 1800yds.  Very tired afterwards.

Saturday: 5 mile shakeout w/Lulu.  The conditions were very enjoyable with lower temperatures and no wind.  I felt good out there today.

Totals:
Run: 7X, 35 miles
Lulu: 1X, 5 miles
Swim: 3X, 3500 yds
Bike: 1X 45 minute spin
Cross Training: 1X35 minute of aqua jog
Core: 0

Synopsis: By the end of the week, I was really tired.
Pros: run mileage, swim yards, variety of training, soreness/pain low
Cons: Not enough biking

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Tri training. Looking forward to watching you and Gazelle become Rhode Warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll also be spectating for this one...or possibly volunteering. Will have to check with Kathy about setting up a beer, um, hydration table out on the course. Or maybe a really long water hose, since you cats will be cruising past my street...

    ReplyDelete