Product

Sunday, December 1, 2013

November 24th through November 30th-Thanksgiving

Sunday: Mews Gear N Beer 5k,  17:00, 8th
Results

The annual Mews Gear N Beer 5k stands out as my favorite race.  The 14th installment of this race called for frigid temperatures and wind.  While I wasn't thrilled about the conditions, I told myself it could be worse (rain, ice, even colder temps).  After arriving at the race, I hung out in the Crutchmobile with Mike and Woolley.  We did an easy mile warmup, threw off our sweats, and headed out to the starting line.  As the gun went off, nobody wanted to take the race out.  With some serious talent up front, I was a bit taken aback my this lack of action.  I decided to settle in and just battle with the pack.  We hit the first mile in 5:30 and I was disappointed with the split.  Reminding myself of the conditions, I decided to just run the race.  Use strategy, don't give up, see what happens..throughout the second mile, I remained in a dog fight with the same group, but we started passing some people along the way.  With less than a mile to go, I knew the biggest challenge ahead would be climbing up that nasty hill and trying to finish strong.  Unfortunately for me, the battle continued on the hill. Once I reached the top, I felt pretty good and now stood in for my final battle of four guys.  Coming down the hill, I had one of my strongest sprints of the year and held off the other guys.  Once I figured out that I ran 17 flat, I was disappointed that my time wasn't under 17 and that I didn't chase down the two guys in front of me.  After walking through the finish area, I congratulated Galoob and Woolley on the monster races they ran.  Shortly thereafter, Crutch shot through the finish line.  It turned out Crutch ended up getting jammed up in the beginning and had to go off with runners in the 32 minute range.  Getting stuck in the crowd ruined Crutch's chances of going after a fast time and I felt bad for him.  We ran a quick warmdown, grabbed some beers, and headed off for some warmth.  I'll be back next year and I better be under 17 minutes!  Fun day with fun people.
(6)

Monday-6 miles..local roads, beach

Tuesday-Swim: 15 minutes, Spin Class (45 minutes)

Wednesday-am.430 Club on a nasty, windy, rainy morning with Gazelle.  If anyone saw us out there, I have no doubt they would have questioned our sanity. (5+)
pm-2 miles on the treadmill and strength workout w/Shara.

Thursday-4 miles solo + 3.5 more w/the girls.
(7.5)

Friday-Black Friday Hill Pops X6 (2.5 miles)
Haley Farm/Bluff Point Exploration with Shara & Lulu (5 miles)
(7.5)

Saturday-12 mile trail run w/ Gazelle, Boumenot, Crutch, Galoob, and Puddin in Yawgoog/Green Falls.  I enjoy the group runs with the crew, but really struggle on any technical trails.  Even with my Garwin brace, my left ankle was really bothering me on the technical parts.  Great views, cool area!  Post run, the outside of my left ankle was all swelled up and I didn't even roll it!

Totals:
Mileage: 47 (highest for 2013)
Lulu: 2X, 8 miles
Swim: 1X, 15 minutes
Spin: 1X, 45 minutes
Core: 1X, 30 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Great job at the Mews 5k and nice hanging with you afterwards. See you in a few weeks at the Newport 10k!

    ReplyDelete