Product

Sunday, December 16, 2012

December 16th through December 22nd

Sunday, December 16th
P90x Plyometric Session-60 minutes
In 2010, I decided to give P90x a try.  Prior to the program, I was a gym rat and was also doing some cardio routines (occasional runs and bike rides down by the beach).  I did most of the program but did not enjoy the length of the daily sessions.  Typically, a daily session took at least an hour.  So, I gave up the program and promised myself that I would still incorporate parts of this program into my training.  Needless to say, that didn't last too long.

After reading another blog, I came up with the idea of doing some P90x while I work my way back from injury and increase the strength and flexibility of my hips.  Overall, I liked the routine.  Lots of body weight activities and lateral movements.  As runners, we are constantly moving forward.  In the process of running, we end up neglecting some of the muscles required to run well.  *I do believe that trail running works the legs better than roads.  With trails, you constantly have to adjust your footing and movement.  I'll do this routine again soon...maybe even once a week!

Monday, December 17th
4+ mile run in the dark after work.  Despite soreness from yesterday's activity, I felt pretty good.  No major hip pain...I chalk today up as a win!
20 minutes of light stretching to finish the day off.

Tuesday, December 18th
90 minutes, 90 degrees..hot yoga..
The temps alone were killing me!

Wednesday, December 19th
Christmas Light Run with Jeff and Mike B. through Westerly.
6 miles, relaxed pace, good conversation as usual. Tight.

Thursday, December 20th
4 miles
Today I had a quick window of time to do some type of physical activity, so I opted for my favorite activity, running.  As I went to the closet to get my running shoes, Lulu went wild and her enthusiasm alone encouraged me to bring her along.  We covered a road loop at 6:30 pace in the dark.  Hip tightness started on the right side at the beginning of the run and ended up being on my left side by the end..awesome.
-Finished things up with a quick stretch.

Friday, December 21st
a.m. A little different version of the 445 Club...solo 35 minute core workout..planks, stretching, and all that fun stuff.

Later in the day, I participated in the Annual Student/Staff Floor Hockey Game at one of the schools I work at.  The game was short and there were shifts, but I was still able to get my sweat on.  Fun time.

p.m. The Mews for another form of cross training.

Saturday, December 22nd
a.m. 8ish
Ran with Team WTAC (Jeff, Jonny, Mike, Muddy, Seth) in the Woody Hill/Wahaneeta trails.  Being so close to home and not having previously known about these trails, I remain amazed by this area.  Since I'm a slacker, I ditched the guys around 8 miles as they continued on their 14-15 mile journey.  It was really neat to have so many of the team members doing a training run together.  Hips did not feel bad today.

p.m. Just for fun, I added in 40 minutes of weights with some stretching.

Weekly Totals:
Miles: 22
P90x: 60 minutes
Yoga: 90 minutes

Synopsis:  All things considered, this was a good week.  While the hip soreness has not totally subsided, there has been improvement.  With the plyometric routine, yoga, and weights, I was able to work some of those neglected muscle groups.  I didn't push it with the running, but I was able to get out there and have fun on every run.  My goal is be back in action for the Resolution 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment