Product

Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 8th through July 14th

Sunday, July 8th
Incorporated a small workout into the mix after a late night
2 mile warmup from E. Providence to the Seekonk High Track
1600-400-400-200-200 (4:54, 65, 65, 30, 29)
1 mile warmdown
Short workout, but solid effort.
(5)

While walking around downtown Providence in the early afternoon, I came across the Amica Ironman 70.3 triathlon.  While I did not see any of the swim or bike, I was witnessing a complete sufferfest.  I did not get to see the leaders, but saw a number of other competitors.  With high temps, there were very few athletes who looked comfortable or happy out there.  Fun to watch people push through it and a cool atmosphere, but oh man!

Monday, July 9th
8ish.
First 6 miles on my own from my house, down to the Weekapaug Sand Trail, back on the beach, and then shot home.  About an hour after finishing the run and "coffeeing up," I headed out for a couple more miles with the girls.

Tuesday, July 10th
Planned 0...  I was chomping at the bit to go run, but lifted instead..push-ups, pull-ups, supermans, ab work, bench, light stretching..

It was nice to work with some weights for a change.  I'd really like to incorporate more strength work into my routine.

Wednesday, July 11th
A.M- 3 miles easy with Lulu to Weekapaug Overlook and looped back up.
P.M.-Tom McCoy 3 Mile Fun Run..17:00..
Warming up, I immediately felt upper body soreness from my strength workout.  Once the run started, I decided to shrug off the soreness and dig in.  After going around the first corner,  Jeff encouraged me to "go for it," so I did just that.  I hit the mile in 5:14, which was a little faster than I wanted to be at a fun run.  I slowed up a bit during the second mile and came across in 10:48...As I moved through the third mile, I continued to slow up and finished the 5k in 17 flat.  Since I wasn't racing it, I was very happy with the effort.  Took a nice ocean plunge afterwards.


Thursday, July 12th
7 miles of recovery..50 minutes.

Friday, July 13th
POP-oh no!
Track Workout at SHS with Jeff and Mike B.
2 mile warmup.
800-2X600-400
216, 141, 145-68-and pop.

While moving through this workout, I ended up pulling (I hope nothing more) a muscle in my hip.  After the 600s, I was feeling some tightness. I moved through the first 400 with caution and finished right on pace at 68.  Before the next rep, I was starting to really feel it but figured I'd work through the stiffness. I moved carefully off the start and felt/heard a pop after rounding the first corner.  I immediately jumped off the track.  After walking around for a bit, my range of motion did not improve and I had a tough time jogging on it.  I watched Mike and Jeff finish up the workout and they both looked strong.

I'm hopeful that the injury is just a pull.  Plan on resting up as much as possible over the next few days.


Saturday, July 14th
0...limping around.  I figured I'd be able to deal somewhat with not running for a few days, but have am having trouble moving around in general.  Not fun for an itch like me.

Weekly Mileage: 30
Most of the week went really well, but things came to a crashing halt on Friday.  I was happy with my workouts (Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday) and that I finally added some strength work back in my routine.  Truth is, injuries are inevitable in the sport of running.  You just have to deal with them and play it smart when recovering.

My plans for the upcoming week remain YTD, but will hopefully involve movement.

1 comment:

  1. Great splits! We HAVE to get a weekly interval workout going. We'd surely get some quality sessions in. When and where?!

    ReplyDelete