Product

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fall Marathon..Could I pull it off?

So running a marathon is on my bucket list.  Training for a marathon is another story.  It has always been my preference to run and train for shorter distances.  The 5k is my favorite event and I'm working towards getting back down to the times I could run in my early to mid 20s.  However, after running random long runs over the past six months, I'm really starting to think it is time to give a marathon some serious thought.   My basic goal would be to finish the race in under 3 hours.  I'm looking at Hartford or the Newport Amica as race options.

If I decide to go for it, here are some things that I don't want to change:
-Keeping an average of 40 to 50 miles a week.
-Continuing speed workouts
-Working in a weekly strength workout

Here are some I would need to consistently do to get to the starting line prepared and healthy:
-Weekly long runs (eventually getting a 20 miler in there)
-Some type of stretching routine

Concerns I have:
-Getting slower at shorter distances
-Injury


So could I pull it off? Thoughts, insights, and recommendations would be appreciated.



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid Blogger posted my comment twice and then when I deleted one, both disappeared. Anyway, I had a really insightful comment! I'll just repeat to you in person.

      Delete
  2. Kudos - you're on the way to becoming a marathon runner. You can train for a marathon with an average of 40-50 miles per week, although some weeks with 20-milers may exceed that. I see no reason that you have to give up speed workouts; for intervals you may just want to mix in longer lengths in some of the workouts. As one who will also be running a fall marathon, I'd be happy to join you on 1 or more 20-milers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards Hartford.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you can do it. No doubt.

    PS-I'm leaning on a chair

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you already have the speed and fitness to run a sub-3 hour marathon (aside from your crappy hip thing). I think additional specific training would get you a good deal faster than that. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete