Product

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Comebacks don't always go as planned..

After reading a recent article on Competitor.com about the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Runners, I've been reflecting on my first two months of 2015 training and my comeback from knee and IT band issues.  So it is safe to say that  things aren't going exactly as planned with my training.  The real good news is that I'm able to train and move much better than I could all fall.  I've had some workouts I've been pleased with, initiated racing again, and jumped in on some group runs.  The frustrating news is that the knee pain still exists from time-to-time, I have consistently had an annoying yet tolerable pain on the back of my heel, and I'm very reluctant to increase volume.

As runners and athletes I think we all agree, some running is better than no running.  But c'mon, I've got goals man!  As I think about goals, training, and running comfortably, I constantly think about the "what ifs." What if I could train more and harder?  What if I didn't have these ailments?  What if I had more time to train?  What if I had more ability?  The possibilities are endless.

So instead of focusing on what I can't do, I need to adjust my training expectations to reality.   The reality(at least for the near future) is that I can't run daily, I need to keep volume relatively low, I'm probably not going to bang out rocking times, and I just need to have fun with it.  In order to get better or make things happen I have to keep up with the strengthening exercises, take off days, cross training, stretch (we'll see), and stop comparing myself to others and just have fun doing what I love to do.




7 comments:

  1. I hear ya man. I've scrapped any "plans" for the Spring and instead I'm just focusing on getting in quality miles. Normally I'd have a big race in my sights but right now I'm just focusing on continuing the pain-free miles.

    Good post and I hope your body keeps on improving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Seth. Sorry to hear that you can literally feel the "pain." I always say some running is better than no running. We'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5K, in the words of a drunken uncle of mine "Do what you can do when you can do it unless you can't do it then don't".

    Just have fun and keep pluggin' along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect article! And echoing Muddy, have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to keep a positive spirit. Had fun running with you in one of the snowstorms recently and look forward to more adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having fun is where it's at anyway, Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should find some comfort in the fact that things are really coming together for you, piece by piece. Sure, your knee pain and foot pain can be a struggle, but you don't need to rush into things anyway. That is one course that you can wait out before you take your turn at the finish line. In any case, just keep up to your treatments and stay safe. Have a great day!

    Agnes Lawson @ Pain Relief Experts

    ReplyDelete