Product

Monday, February 16, 2015

Tommy 5k Challenge

As I work to re-gain my running health and fitness, I've struggled with setting any goal other than to be healthy.  While my running health is still my priority, I had to set my sights on something unique.  After doing a recent PT/Strength Routine in my basement, I came up with a great idea..The Tommy 5k Challenge (I never was too keen on talking in the third person so I'll stop here). 

What is it?
Complete a 5k sub 17 and bench press 225 lbs at least once within 7 days of one another.

Why?
It would be pretty cool to throw down some heavy weight and run a respectable 5k in the same time period.

How?
Minimum of 1 to 2 PT/Strength  Sessions per week in my basement
Start doing a weekly speed work/pick-ups again for my runs
Stretch and work on flexible when possible

Time table to complete:
2015

Benchmarks:
17:30 5k at Super 5k on 2/1
1X3/195lbs on the bench on 2/15

At this stage of the game I think the biggest challenge for me will be the 5k.  A few things need to happen in order for me to get faster.  I need to run more, complete speed workouts, be pain free, and run a fairly flat course on a nice day.  If I'm able to achieve this goal, I'll continue to work on my running but will not try to lift much more than 225 for the risk of hurting myself.

If any of you out there would like to jump in on this challenge, please feel free to join me!  You can modify your goal based upon your own needs.  I have the bench in my basement for testing.


3 comments:

  1. Considering I've yet to break 17:00 (will I ever?) and I've never benched over 185 lbs, I'll have to pass.

    Throw endurance running and beers in and I'm up for the challenge though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good challenge, but I'd be lucky if I could roll 225 lbs. Cut that in half and I'm game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can do the 225, but not the 17:00. I'll shoot for sub-20:00 though!

    ReplyDelete