Product

Monday, June 3, 2013

June 2nd through June 8th

Sunday-1/4 mile swim with Gazelle from the Town Beach.
While the water was still cool, it was much more comfortable than last week.  I'll take it.

YMCA Back Road Ramble, 3.3 mile race (that's what my GPS reports)
19:32, 1st
Results
I made a game day decision to run this race.  I have not been running much as of late and really missed the atmosphere that a race offers.  To me, races are electric.  Everybody seems positive and there is a good flow.  After registering, I ran a two mile warmup with Gazelle and Matthew.  Based off of their reports, the course was marked much better than last year.

Once the gun went off, I tried to establish a solid and maintainable pace.  Right off the bat, a high school kid hammered down the hill after the start.  I cautiously led chase and put some feelers out for him.  Shortly after, I was able to pull away from him and it was smooth sailing.  In my mind the next one I needed to run scared from was the Gazelle.

At the mile mark, I ran comfortably. From there, it was completely smooth sailing.  My second mile split was my slowest.  I felt tired but pretty strong finishing up.  Overall, I was happy with my performance based off of recent training.  I was thrilled to see another strong showing by WTAC with second and third place finishes by the Walkers.

The bottom line is ended up getting in a really good workout and had the opportunity to hang out with my running friends (even Jonny Miles showed up).  Enjoyed the post race barbecue!

Side notes:
This race was sort of a reunion for me. I worked at Camp Watchaug, where the race took place, for a summer in college about 10 years ago.  It brought back some fun memories of my younger days.

Watch out for the Walker kids...it's just a matter of time before Matt and Mark are faster than all of us..respect your elders!!
(7)

Monday-"So this is what it is like chasing a Gazelle on wheels."
Approx. 20 mile bike ride with Gazelle on beach roads.  The fog and low visibility led us to stay on these roads.  We hammered Ocean View Highway and Atlantic Ave really hard.  After looping around in Weekapaug, we then went at it again for one last charge down Atlantic.  As I pushed, Gazelle pulled away from me with ease.  Even as I jumped out of my seat and started pushing, I couldn't make any ground on him.  We had an awesome workout and I think my good friend is ready to rock the Mystic Tri.

Tuesday-Stonington Fun Run 5k. 18:31
Warmed up a couple of miles with Gazelle and did a bit more with Boumenot.
After racing Sunday and riding hard on Monday, it was my intention to take the day really easy.  Jeff, Mike, and I were discussing pace and had a plan to just settle in and roll.  Shortly after the start, I saw two lead guys pulling away.  "Do I chase them down I ask myself?"  "They aren't going too quick,"  I took the bait and caught up to the leader.  I started trying to chat it up with him and he told me he was looking to run 17 flat on the day.  I mentioned to him that today might not be the day for me join him.  Shortly after he told me this, I could feel the pace easing.  I then asked the kid what his PR was and he told me he was going for it (17:55).  I told him I would try to pace him to this time.  Unfortunately, the kid was unable to maintain his goal pace.  I stayed with him throughout and encouraged him throughout.

After finishing, I grabbed a quick, yet aggressive, cooldown with Gazelle.  It was all downhill from there...we got stuck having a free beer for doing the run out of the deck.  Living by ocean and having these opportunities make life really tough...
(6 miles)

Wednesday-a.m.1100 yd swim at the Y with Gazelle...did 2X2X50yd drills and was happy with my more consistent splits (38, 42) (39, 41).  We kept rest really short.  I felt really good afterwards.

p.m. Push-ups, bench press, curls, abs

Thursday-had a rocking headache and a retirement party to go.  What to do?..Hmm..take an Excedrin and do a strength workout.  Did a series of body weight squats, pushups, pullups, medicine ball twists, etc.  The Excedrin and workout did help.

Friday-445 Club from Boumenot's.
6 miles at around 7 min/mile.  Very solid run.  Mike gave Gazelle and I the grand tour of the Pawcatuck Roads.

Visited the Chiro in the afternoon

Saturday-Backwards Brick Workout with Gazelle and Gazelle Jr.
We started off by running the Backroad Ramble Course and then ventured out onto Watchaug Pond for a 1000yd swim.  The water was nice and warm today!  It was Matthew's first open water swim of the season. Solid workout and even more fun.
(3)

Totals:
Run:4x, 22 miles
Lulu:0 (she is ripping about this)
Swim: 3X, 2500 yds
Bike: 1X, 20 miles
Core/Stretch/Strength: 2X, 60 minutes
Chiro Visits: 1X




2 comments:

  1. Nice race at Back Road Ramble. I was hoping I could hang closer to you, but you were moving pretty solid. My pre-race attempts to direct you off-course didn't work, I'll have to come up with a new bag of tricks. :) Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race at the Ramble, FiveK!!! Good running with you guys, might even make the 4:45 club tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete