Product

Sunday, June 24, 2012

June 24th through June 30th

Sunday, June 24th
A.M. 18 mile long run with Jonny..we started this awesome early morning jaunt down in Weekapaug, proceeded through the beaches of Misquamicut, hopped onto the roads by the sea wall in Watch Hill, crossed through soem cool side roads I had never covered before, did some trails in Champlain, and finished the run back down in Weekapaug.

I was especially impressed by how quickly this run passed by.  I attribute it to Jonny's company, awesome scenery, and really nice weather.  The sand on the beach was tightly packed and flat, which made it really nice to run on.  We kept a consistent pace throughout the run, chilled a bit in Champlain, and picked up the pace to the finish.  This run stands as the longest I've run yet and I finished feeling pretty fresh.

Briefly after finishing the run, we grabbed some nice, cold waters and then took a plunge in the Atlantic. The ocean felt very soothing on the legs and provided a great reward for our efforts.

P.M. Back down to Weekapaug for some clamming....ended up with over 40 clams and devoured them less than a half hour after getting them home.  Delicious!

Monday, June 25th
5+ miles, 38 minutes...roads...easy start, faster finish...just beat massive downpours from the storm.

Tuesday, June 26th
4 miles of light jogging with Kelsey and Dave in East Providence..my quads were quite sore from Sunday's long run...DOMS.

Today was my first day assisting Dave doing electrical jobs.  I spent most of the day digging a huge trench...good stuff!

Wednesday, June 27th
8.8 miles...57 minutes
Ran from my house,  through Shore Road, to Ocean View Highway, and then did some loops on Atlantic Ave.  Since I decided to run tonight's Fun Run with Kelsey, I opted to get in a solid effort before it started.  Since I always wonder what kind of paces I'm pushes out, I mapped out the first part of my run on the USATF site and came up with 5.7 miles, which equated to 6:08 pace.  After my run, I chatted with some of my WTAC peeps and then ran the race with Kelsey.  We finished in about 22:10.  It was cool to watch Jonny and Jeff duke it out at the start.  Jeff ended up taking it and Jonny wasn't too far behind!

Thursday, June 28th
Early morning 6+ miler along Weekapaug Beach Roads...ran first four miles solo, picked up Kelsey and Lu for the remainder of the run.  Still feeling heavy but okay.

Highlight of run: chasing a turkey down Noyes Neck Road.

Friday, June 29th
8 miles...sharpened things up at Ninigret Park with Jeff.
3+ mile warmup..followed by 4X800 and 4X400
2:26. 2:26, 2:23, 2:23 We took a 1 minute rest between each interval.
Followed up with 5 minutes of active recovery between sets.
70, 71, 71, 71- 1 minute rest between intervals

Both Jeff and I banged out a very solid workout.  The humidity was very heavy and we were able to maintain consistency throughout.  Running around Ninigret is always fun.  Both of us prefer doing intervals on the fields versus the track, it just seems like the workout progresses quicker.

Saturday, June 30th
A.M. 14 mile early morning jaunt with Jeff and Mike B.  Checked out some new trails...Jeff's back yard (no, really!) and some small trails in Mastuxet behind the Frank Olean Center.  After Mastuxet, we headed into Champlain for some more trails and endless battles with these pesky horseflies.  To me, there isn't anything more annoying on the run than those nasty, little buggers.  We then crossed down by Dr. Lewis Pond and did some road work through the Shore Road area and Weekapaug area before heading down the sand trail.  It was really cool to stop for a minutes and check things out on the rocks of Weekapaug Point.  We then shot back on the beach to the water fountain before finishing off the run by Dune's Beach with a swim.  Fun, summer run minus the flies.

P.M. 3 miles with Dave down to the Weekapaug Inn Beach.  After working on a home improvement project, Dave wanted to get in a run and some beach time.  While I didn't want to put any more miles on the odometer this week, I couldn't resist.  My ex co-workers on the security department let me slide in to the beach..nice!

Weekly Mileage: 67
Synposis: this is the most mileage I have run since 2007.  The 67 was unplanned but I will take it and attribute the mileage to my two fun bookend long runs.  I was also happy with my effort at Ninigret with Jeff on Friday.  I'm definitely sore from the increase, but would consider occassionally throwing together other monster weeks into the mix in the near future.

Looking to the week ahead, I have a planned down week just to play things safe.  I may take a few days off and press the refresh button.  As another bummer, my summer racing schedule keeps taking hits.  Unfortunately, it looks like the Camire's race on Wednesday may be scratched due to some family holiday stuff.  I'm hopeful for some kind of a race on the 4th-but am unsure. 

While I'm in good shape, I currently don't have any racing goals or big races coming up.  I'm toying the idea of trying a fall marathon but really enjoy the 5ks and fun shorter efforts.  I need some kind of goal or focus race. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed the beach run - sounds like a good one. I'd definitely be up for some beach running this coming weekend as the heat returns.

    ReplyDelete