Product

Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 10th through June 16th

Sunday, June 10th
 7++ miles
Did first park of the run with Kelsey & Co.  Followed that run up with 3.8 miles hard at 5:50 pace on the roads.  After the very easy first part of the run, I wanted to hammer, so I went for it.  Hot and fun.

Followed this one up with some beach time, serious mowing, and core work.

Monday, June 11th
8 miles
First 2 with the girls, followed up by doing another 6 down through the Weekapaug Sand Trail.  I was pretty sore by the end of this one.

Tuesday, June 12th
6 miles.
2 mile warmup with the girls..dropped them off at the house and then went to work.
10X250m hill repeats/jog down hill rest.
4X100m downhill strides

Solid strength workout, the quads are going to be upset with me tomorrow.

Wednesday, June 13th
0..tired.

Thursday, June 14th
11
Phase 1:  3 mile neighborhood run with the girls
Phase 2: 8.5 Misquamicut Loop from my house.  Kelsey jumped on the bike and I led chase on foot.  I started off feeling good and felt progressively worse as the run moved along.  My body felt tired, back hurt, and my turnover was poor (I know, I'm a complainer).

On a positive note, the weather was warm and nice!  Without too many people around, the Misquamicut scene was very enjoyable on this lovely afternoon.  I also figured out that I averaged 6:23 pace throughout the run.

As I moved towards the end of this run, I couldn't wait to get home.

Phase 3: Ate sushi and enjoyed an adult beverage.

Friday, June 15th
A.M.-8+ mile scamper with the Gazelle from my house down to Weekapaug and over to Misquamicut State Beach.  We came back on the roads at a comfortable, but solid pace.  Very fun and as an extra bonus Jeff had my WTAC singlet for me when we finished up.   I love this early morning stuff even though everyone else probably thinks we are just a couple of crazies!!

P.M.-Easy 3 miler with Kelsey.

Saturday, June 16th
7++++  last afternoon reversal run from yesterday.  After 5 minutes of easy running, I threw a mini-workout of 10X 1 minute hard/easy on the roads together.  Overall, I felt strong and fast throughout the workout.  Running on flat roads with a nice tail wind didn't hurt either.  I finished the workout right at 25 minutes at the Misquamicut State Beach Bath House, which provided me with a nice water break at the bubbler.  After a couple of minds, I headed out to the beach to do a recovery run home.  Unfortunately, the tide and crowds didn't play work well with my intentions so I back out to the roads.  I was able to maintain a nice pace back with the wind in my house, but my achilles started to scream at me.

Of note: while doing the hard portions I had someone fist pumping out the window at me.  Clearly, this is a sign that it is the summer season in Misquamicut.


Weekly Mileage: 50
Very solid week. I was tired for much of the week, but am happy with my mileage. I'm going to proceed with caution with my achilles, but hope to put together another solid effort next week.  I'd like to fit in a Tom McCoy Fun Run on Wednesday and some kind of long effort next weekend.

4 comments:

  1. "I enjoyed AN adult beverage"...

    There's your problem. Beverage(s) plural eases almost any running related ailment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' phase 3 (sushi and beverage). An apt reward for a hard running day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like another good week, too bad about the Achilles, such drag to have these nagging little issues. You might consider avoiding running on the beach for a bit, soft surfaces like sand can aggravate Achilles and calf issues since your heel can sink in below the ball of your foot, over extending the calf/Achilles. Likewise, steeper hills and speed work that have you springing off the ball of the foot are especially hard on the calf/achilles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice Mike. I totally agree with you about staying off the soft surfaces for a bit. A little ice may help as well. Good luck with the Presidential Traverse next weekend!

    ReplyDelete