Product

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 3rd through June 9th

Sunday, June 3rd
17 mile trail romp with the WTAC Crew/Trail Gods (Jonny, Jeff, Muddy Puddin, Mike B.).  Once again, we crossed into a bunch of places that my feet had never touched before.

Here is a are some places we covered: Riverwood Preserve, Whitely Preserve, Potter Hill Road, Westerly Town Forest, and added in some roads for good measure.

Great run overall.  While cruising through Potter Hill, we threw in 6X3 telephone poles hard/2 telephone poles easy.  At the culmination of this set, we climbed up Potter Hill to the Town Forest. Good fun! I felt strong throughout the run and did not tire as we moved towards the end.

As a side note, congrats to Mike G. and Puddin' for tearing up The Race to Grow 5k (yes, we warmed Muddy up for his later effort).

3 additional miles with Kelsey & Lulu on the Weekpaug Roads..followed by some mowing.

Monday, June 4th
Sore
6.5 miles
First part of the run w/ the girls, followed by 4 miles on the treadmill in under 25 minutes.
Sore after too...Was Potter Hill Quadzilla for me?

Tuesday, June 5th
If I didn't know that I will not be able to run on Thursday, I would have taken today.
7 miles

First part of the run was an easy jog with the girls, followed up with 4X35 seconds hard/1 minute easy, 1:15 hard. 1 minute easy.

Landed myself some Asics 2170s from Olympia Sports.  They only had my size in a wide width, but I really couldn't tell the difference once I put my orthotics in.  I was able to get a small discount on the shoes, so I decided not to be too picky.

Wednesday, June 6th
General soreness improved, but feeling some random foot pain..
2 mile warmup
HELL Field Workout:
1 mile: 5:09
4X400: 72,71, 68, 69
Took one minute rest after each rep.

Kelsey and Lulu actually jumped in for the 4X400.
The dog ran two 400s with me (71, 68).
It started to pour in the middle of the workout, but the rain was enjoyable.
Truth be told, I stole this workout from Mike G.  If I wasn't racing Saturday, I would have thrown in the 200s at the end.
1 mile cooldown

Thursday, June 7th
0
Planned off day and no time with work today anyway.
Go Celtics-Beat the HEAT!

Friday, June 8th
4 mile jog with Kelsey and Lu down to the beach.

Saturday, June 9th
Matty Siravo 5k, 16:33, 2nd.
Results

Humid morning race on the grounds of URI campus. Ended up having to take the race out myself for the first mile and then was chewed up by a Northeastern University Track Runner.  The course was flat, but confusing with multiple turnarounds at various cones at the mile markers.

With some solid college runners in the race, I was disappointed that no other runners took the bait during the first mile.  I believe in tactical racing, but am typically not one to sit back and see how things pan out.

I ran as hard as I could in this one.  The bottom line is that the race winner was clearly better than me.  He ran a smart, tactical race, and seemed very strong throughout.  Could I have run a little faster if I didn't go out so hard?  Maybe.  Do I regret taking the race out and trying to run as I fast as I could?  Not even a little bit.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift," Steve Prefontaine.

Cool day:  My cousin Kerry, who was down visiting from MA and recently starting running, ran the race in 31:37.  Kelsey ran a 21:54 and wasn't loving the heat.  Meanwhile, Dave ran a 23:08 and is working on getting into the 22s.

Not the best course, but a nice atmosphere.

Weekly Mileage:
46

4 comments:

  1. Which race are you doing Saturday? Are you doubling up and doing the Backroad Ramble on Sunday too?
    We gotta find a day we can all get together for track workouts, would be fun and motivational for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm racing the Matty Siravo 5k at URI. Based on past year's results, I should have my hands full with competition. I'm doubtful for the Back Road Ramble, but love the idea. I agree with the track workouts--I think we could get some real good stuff in and have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Could I have run a little faster if I didn't go out so hard? Maybe. Do I regret taking the race out and trying to run as I fast as I could? Not even a little bit."--Great line! Make them run their asses off to beat you! Nice race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, Tom. Another super-fast race in the 16:30s. Love it.

    ReplyDelete