Product

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Holyoke St. Patrick's Day Race

With less than two weeks to go before race day, the 37th Annual Holyoke St. Patrick's Day 10k is on my mind.  Of all of the races I have ran in the past, this one stands out the most in my mind.  Since 2001, I've ran the race a number of times with mostly successful results.

The race itself annually draws strong local and national talent. Past winners include a variety of African runners, various Olympians, and even Bill Rodgers.  It is very competitive up front and it is very easy to get caught up in all of the races fanfare (fans along almost the entire course, A-10s completing a fly by before the start, and the general feeling of excitement).

As a native of Chicopee, Massachusetts (the city right next to Holyoke), this race always stood out as a measuring stick for me.   With nearly 5000 finishers every year, everyone knows about this one.  Having Irish ancestry, my family also put an emphasis on this one by always coming out to support me and cheer me on at the finish line.  My best day at Holyoke came in 2005 when I placed 10th overall and ran a 33:42.  The 11th place finisher that day was Zach Hine, who is from South Hadley, and recently competed in the U.S. Men's Olympic Trials Marathon and placed 31st with a 2:16:40 (Needless to say, that was the first and last time I beat Zach).

As for the course, it's tough.  After a flat first mile, runners have to climb through the hills for the next three.  Once you reach mile 4, you have a mile of pure downhill running.  Even if you are beat up, you can fly at this point.  As mile five approaches, the course starts to roll again.  At this point, your quads are usually cashed in, but you have to forget about it because there is only a little more than a mile left.  As you close in on the finish, the crowds thicken.  Spectators are on the sides of the street cheering and offering bottles of beer.  As tempting as these beverages may be, it's time to focus on the finish.  The final 200m is truly unbelievable with the crowds, noise, and competition.

To say I'm pumped up for Holyoke is an understatement.  It will nice to see some old racing friends, jump back on that course, run as hard as I can, and enjoy the after party. While I will not forget to take a few minutes to reflect on past races and memories from Holyoke, I plan on dropping the hammer down on this one!

1 comment: