Product

Sunday, November 18, 2018

November 12 to 18

Monday, 11/12: 10 miles with Riley and Lulu.  Ran to the State Beach and back to check out damage from a recent fire.  It turned out to be Riley's longest run (8) to date.  I ran an additional 2+ with Lulu. 6:55 pace.  Had to work for it on the beach sand.

Tuesday, 11/13: 6.6 miles on the treadmill at the Y. It was a rainy and dreary morning so I opted to go inside today.  It ended up being a workout session as I ran harder and harder as the run progressed.   I included some random hill inclines from 3 miles on to keep things honest and finished with 3X30 sec @ sub 5 pace.  5:52 average pace.

Wednesday, 11/14: 6.6 miles with the dogs on a chilly morning.  After a variety of close encounters with distracted or apathetic motorists, I recently ordered Noxgear and was able to try it for the first time this morning.  Coincidentally, I saw the least amount of cars on morning run than I've seen in quite sometime.  Go figure!  Towards the end of my run, I ran by a walker who mentioned he could really see me coming today.  Awesome. 6:52 pace

Thursday, 11/15: 6.6 miles...4+ with Riley, 2+ with Lulu.  Despite being tired and sore, I really enjoyed being out there this morning.  6:43 pace

Friday, 11/16: skipped my planned core work to clean slush from driveways.  I knew there was a very high chance of it melting but had to do it.  Took about 45 minutes total

Saturday, 11/17: 10k run from the Y to Riverbend and back through town.  Cool start but it warmed up quickly.  I was surprised to notice many snow covered sidewalks.  6:31 pace for the run.  Faster than planned but that's fine.
 -Swam 700 yards post run at the Y.  I'm trying to make these short weekly swims part of my routine mostly to try not to let my membership completely go to waste.
-Spend a huge chunk of the rest of the day cleaning and cutting a huge tree limb that fell in my Ma's yard.  The chainsaw ended up having some issues so I decided to go old school on the tree and went at it hard with an ax.  Mission accomplished and my body was pretty tired after this work.  I must admit I loved chopping the tree up with the ax.

Sunday, 11/18: Li'l Rhody Runaround 8 miler-50:25, 6th Results
Overall, I'm okay with my race result. With a recent small and very wet snow storm, the course was left with some interesting slick conditions with some areas of the course even having standing water. 
For the first half of the course I ran solid and I really struggled on the second half, which also happens to be more technical.  I even took a pretty good digger on a rock portion as I tried to navigate by way through the technical sessions of the course.  After mile 5, I ran in no man's land.  I did feel like pretty good once I reentered the roads and closed fairly well.  All in all, it was a very well organized and fun race.  It was great to run against many familiar faces and get to catch up with some friends who were volunteering rather than running.  Great job to the WTAC and to all who put in an effort to help organize this wonderful event.
Photo courtesy of Beth


What I'm thinking about it regards to running:
Over the past few weeks, I've been feeling kind of tired and beat up while running.  My goal this week is to keep plugging.  That being said, I do realize that running, like life, moves in cycles and that it might be a good idea for me to take some planned down time doing other physical endeavors (weights, core work, swimming, stationary bike, stretching).  I haven't trained for anything specific this fall or done any high volume, but I have kept things consistent. Some planned time off always beats forced time off.  So sometime over the next few weeks, I may drop my volume/frequency a bit.  We'll see.

Mileage: 47 miles
Swimming: 700yds

No comments:

Post a Comment