Product

Monday, December 4, 2017

November 27-December 3-Man's Best Friend

11/27-12/3/17
In an effort to hold myself accountable, I am going to try to do a weekly training update.  I gave up on weekly blogging a while back because I figured no one was interested and a lot of my runs are really repetitive and boring.  Anyway, I'll give it a go!

This blog post is in honor of my parents dog and my first dog running buddy, Mickey, who passed away on Thanksgiving unexpectedly from a heart attack.  He truly was Man's Best Friend and was a joy 100% of the time.  Mickey followed the "wag more, bark less" principle and I'll certainly miss him. Rest easy, bud.

Mickey




Monday-6.- miles with the dogs followed by 1 mile of strides.  Enjoyed all the Christmas lights that were left on all need.  JV and I enjoy those.

Tuesday-6.2 miles.  Ran to my parents house, delivered the paper, and ran home w/ Riley.  Since Lulu slept in, I decided to spent my last mile doing on/off street lights through my neighborhood.

Wednesday-6.1 miles.  Ran Riley and then Lulu.  Gusty winds and feeling all around soreness, but especially in the low knee/upper shin area.  Will monitor.

Thursday-6.0 miles.  Both dogs.  Super cold but no wind.  I'll take it.  Looking forward to taking tomorrow off due to the soreness and general fatigue.

Friday-30 minute morning stretch, followed DVD, 5 minute foam roll at end.  Really need to stick to doing this stuff.

Saturday-5.5 miles with Riley from my house to Weekapaug Golf Course a little after 7 am.  Warmed up for 2 miles miles and then did 35 seconds H/35 seconds E for 20 minutes.  Upon entering the golf course an off leash German Shepard came charging at Riley and me.  He couldn't really catch us and ended up retreating back home.  Call it a win for the good guys.  Riley was completely unfazed by the dog and was having too much fun during his pursuit of us to even get upset.  Did a 20 minute stretch late in the afternoon.

Sunday-10 miles from Avondale Preserve through Watch Hill.  Upon arrival to the preserve, I coincidentally ran into JV, Eric D, Mikey B (glad he is back in the game), and Brian who were about to start a group run.  Ran with the guys for about a mile and then went off on my own from there.  Had a nice unplanned progression on a seasonal morning.  Last two miles were 6:14 and 6:16..happy with that.  Fun run.

Miles: 40
Core/Stretch: 2X20 min + some daily stretching.
Notes: Feeling tired and fatigued as usual which I attribute to my busy schedule.  Will keep watch on low knee/upper shin soreness.  Just trying to having fun with no particular goals for now.

Interesting running tidbit I read about this week: To prevent injury, switch out up to 3 shoes since running is such a repetitive motion.  I've switched out two pairs but this might give me an excuse to purchase another pair of shoes!








2 comments:

  1. RIP Mickey. May you be running free over the rainbow bridge.

    Welcome back to the blog, it's nice to read what you've been up to, even if you think it is repetitive, it's not.

    Off leash dogs, ugh... I came across one who's electric fence was off and he was happy to come and try and greet me and Gus. Gus wasn't too thrilled (or me for that matter). I shouted "Go home buddy, Go on home!!" He did retreat, not sure why, maybe because we backed away and didn't get any closer? The shouting didn't cause ANY one in the neighborhood to even turn on a porch light, that was just as upsetting as an off leash dog near roads.

    My condolences, I know how tough and scary it is to unexpectedly lose a pup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! He was such a cool dog.

    As for the off leash dogs, it seems like I'm running into them more than ever. I think what gets me the most is when they are off leash and there is no owner in site.

    ReplyDelete