Product

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Holyoke 2014


One of my big early 2014 goals is performing well at the Holyoke St. Patrick's Day 10k.  The race itself promises to include top level competition that includes World Class Runners.  Past winners include the likes of Bill Rodgers,  Allistair Craig, and various Olympians.  With close to 6000 finishers and a course lined with spectators, the race is like a six mile block party.  While the top runners battle it out for the bucks and divisional wins, I'll be running against myself with the hopes of crossing the line in a respectable time while having fun in the process.



Over the years, this race has been all about pride for me.  When I was younger, there were major bragging rights for performing well at Holyoke.  The race was the big measuring stick amongst local runners when I lived in nearby Chicopee.  Running a good 5k or breaking 3 hours in the marathon was great, but people really wanted to know how you came out at Holyoke?  Over the years, I've had some really good Holyoke races.  My personal highlight came in 2005 when I ran a 33:42 and placed way up there.  My lowest moment came when I was battling a number of injuries in 2007 and just couldn't keep pace with some of the big boys.  In between, I scratched and scraped for whatever result I could get.

After a four year hiatus, I returned to the race in 2012 and ran a respectable, yet disappointing 35:24. As for my plan for 2014, I really want to run sub 35.  With some significant rolling hill climbs that just don't let up, this course wasn't exactly made for my strengths.  To run well this year, I'm going to need to focus on hills, run some hard longer runs, and gain strength.  While my recent race results don't match my glory days, I feel the best I have physically in years.  I'm hopeful for a really good race.  Regardless of the result, the one thing I can guarantee is that I'll indulge in a beer or two at the finish.

PAST RESULTS
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2007* 2012
* DNF..sort of..was injured, stop and drank a beer with my uncle and cousin, and finished in 41 minutes but jumped off the course without crossing the line.

Other neat stuff..
Featured in Running Times..
While reading this I found out an old friend/rival, Brian Donoghue is now race director.

2014 Race Promo Video

Course Profile

I should probably try to simulate the course in some of my training.


1 comment:

  1. Sub-35 seems like a sure thing. I'd say sub-34 might be a better goal, but, with the tough course, I'll let you slide to 34:30. I can't wait to see how you do.

    ReplyDelete