Product

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

November 10th through November 16th- I hate winter.

Sunday-Avondale 5k..officially called Setting the Pace for Conservation 5k.
Results 16:45, 1st

I've always loved the scenery of Avondale and appreciate the efforts of the Land Trust.  Being a road warrior and with the locale of this one so close to home, it is a must run for me.  As I watched the morning weather forecast, I knew today was going to be a windy one.  I was hoping for a strong showing at this race, but knew the wind would play a factor as it swirled around at 20 mph.

After warming up with Gazelle and the young guns, it was time to roll.  After the gun went off, I tried to settle in at a brisk yet controllable pace.  Approaching the mile, my watch beeped at indicated a 5:07 mile. Yikes!  I immediately told myself to calm down and try to run a smooth 2nd mile so I didn't totally lose it for mile three.  As I worked through mile 2, I was starting to feel the impact of the wind and early hard pace.  I hit the second mile in 5:22.  The worst part of the race was about to begin for me.  Rather than closing out the race in a strong final mile, I ran it in around 5:30.  I'm not sure if it was the wind, lost focus, or just from going out too hard.  I finished the race and felt pretty strong.  Immediately upon finishing, I watched my WTAC teammates come through and cheered some of the other runners on.  As I caught my breath, my parents congratulated me on the win.  Shortly after saying good job, my Dad reminded me that it was only a matter of time before the younger guys take me down.  In a Gazelle-like fashion, I responded, "Totally agree, but today is not that day."  I'll take em when I can get them!

Fun day, race, and atmosphere. (6)

Later on...50 burpees, 50 squats, 50 crunches, 40, 30, 20, 10...took me 25 minutes and it was brutal.

Monday:
am-4+ mile run on local roads trying out ankle brace.
pm-3 mile run with Shara and Lulu in Avondale (7)

Tuesday: 45 minute spin class at the Y.

Workout Wednesday: Warmup, 5X800/400 with half distance jog recoveries with Gazelle at HELL Field.  Cold air filled the atmosphere and my lungs were screaming.  Ran consistent times throughout the workout.  Including the warmup, workout, recoveries, and warmdown, we covered 10 miles on this one, which also qualifies as a long run for me!  Especially impressed by Gazelle's performance as he hammered the Lil Rhody course in the AM.

Thursday: 7 miles on local roads and incorporated some loops on Weekapaug Golf Course in the dark.  I had the headlamp for this one and my bursitis was acting up throughout.

Friday: 4 miles with Lulu at an easy pace on local roads.  Bursitis is still annoying me.

Saturday: 4+ miles with Lulu on local roads on a warm morning.  31 minutes. Enjoyed the warmer air.  Still not planning on racing at Lil Rhody..looking forward to the event/experience, but nervous about getting hurt on the trails.

Totals:
Run:7X, 38 miles
Lulu: 3X, 11 miles
Bike: 45 minute spin
Swim: 0
Core: 25 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Saw the title of the post and thought it was Mike B.'s blog for a second! Great job at the race, sorry I missed it. Get ready for Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete