Product

Monday, July 22, 2013

July 21st through July 27th-CRAB Hunting..

CRAB Hunting..





Since the beginning of the year, it's been my goal to complete a spring triathlon or two this year. Well, my time is up and next Sunday is the big day for my first go around in this endeavor.  To my surprise, I've really enjoyed the variety of training and think my body will thank me for it in the long run.  I'm excited and hopeful for the race, but also realize I'm going to get rocked by the big boys.  For now, my goal will be to cover the distance and pick some spots where I can be competitive.  Training goal this week: sharpen up and don't get hurt.


Sunday-a.m. Misquamicut Loop with my cousin Pat, who just turned dirty 30..2.6 miles.7:30 pace
p.m. Since all of my house guests had departed, I was looking to get out on the roads.2.6 miles at a solid clip around 8 pm.
(5)

Monday-1200 yd swim with mixed in drills at the Y.  Chatted it up with frequent tri winner, Jeff Duda, about Saturday.  Afterwards, I went to PT for my IT Band and Tendonitis..kind of depressing but whatever..I'll keep pushing in moderation. Cut up some some trees in my backyard in the afternoon and was too tired/lazy to do anything else afterwards.

Tuesday-
a.m. 445 Club Track Workout with Boumenot.
Prior to one, I really wondered about the weather and our chances of not getting poured on.  Mike and I made a deal that if it was raining heavy when we woke up, we would hold off on the workout.  Checking the radar around 4:25, it looked like we were in the clear with definite precipitation around the Norwich area.  Game on!

Arrived at the track, did a mile warmup, and it was go time.
4X400 w/400 jog recovery (72, 72, 71, 70)
Short walk rest and then a jog to the 200 starting area.
4X200 (33, 32, 31, 31)
(4)

p.m. Dog Watch Fun Run
Mile warmup with Boumenot and my right calf was screaming at me.
Chatted it up with a colleague and my parents prior to the start.  Ended up running with J.P. the entire time and we made a gentleman's deal to keep it comfortable out there..608, 623, 600..no idea of final time..think it was under 19 somewhere.  Enjoyed drinks on the dock with the WTAC Crew!!  Good fun.
(4)

Wednesday-
a.m. approximately 1 mile swim from the Town Beach with Schonning and Orlando.  Finished things off with a 2 mile barefoot jog and splash.

p.m. WTAC Fun Run..18:40..
Just to mix things up, I decided to drop and do 20 push-ups at every mile marker.  This workout kicked my butt!

Post run, I was talking with a vacationing runner who turned out to be a one time qualifier for the US Olympic Trials in the Steeplechase in 96.  He told me he found the fun runs online and thought the WTAC was a pretty awesome club!

Took a quick splash with Boumenot to cool off afterwards.
(5)

Thursday-BOP Ride-17 miles
I really needed to get at least one ride in prior to Sunday's tri.  As the rain started to come down, I contemplated bailing on the ride but decided to "man-up" instead.  The first part of the ride was fast and smooth..the second half was very windy and the rain was picking up.  I decided to call this ride BOP (Bottom of the pile) since I was no KOM on Strava today.  Still happy I rode and I worked hard for it.

Friday-a.m.mile swim with Schonning..did the typical swim from the Town Beach to the A Frame House and back.  Once we arrived back at the beach, we decided to swim out to the buoys and swim fairly hard in..great swim..I still have such a long way to come, but it was good fun.

p.m. 3.3 miles with Lulu..6:40 pace..really humid and my tendonitis was really acting up. Post run stretch.

Saturday-Road Kill Shakeout Run from my parents' house to the Town Beach..3.4 miles..21:52..6:23/mile according to Strava.  After a quick dip in the ocean, hitched a ride home with my parents and headed off to NBX for Crabman packet pick-up.  Ran into Crutch, chatted it up about the race, and grabbed my swag.

Totals:
Run: 8X, 27 miles
Lulu Run Miles: 3.3 miles
Bike: 1X, 17 miles
Swim: 3X, 4000 yds?
Stretch/Strength/PT:2X, 1 hr of PT, 30 minutes of stretching

No comments:

Post a Comment