Product

Monday, February 4, 2013

February 3rd to February 9th-Never Give Up

The theme for this week is to Never Give Up.  Based off of how I'm running and feeling, I'm struggling right now.  Poor performances, soreness, tightness...all reasons to consider becoming a "recreational" or "fitness" runner.  The big issue here is that I still have a burning desire to compete and run fast.  In order to achieve success, you have to work through the hard times.  Whether it's running a race or working through a problem in life, giving up is not an option!

Sunday, February 3rd
Super 5k, 17:09 7th
WTAC win!

The Narragansett Super 5k stands out to me as one of the coolest local races around.  As
I went back and forth on whether to race or not earlier in the week, I just couldn't resist missing this one once I heard how many members from Team WTAC would be showing up for the team competition.

After arriving at the race about an hour before show time, I went out for a 3 mile warmup jog with team members on the Canonchet trails.  As we ran through the trails, I laughed and thought to myself, "these must be the only guys who could find trails at a race race."   We arrived back to race headquarters with a small amount of time before the start.  This was a bit nerve racking for me since I like to have a little time to make sure everything is set.

As we lined up at the start, it felt like the Who's Who of Rhode Island Running.  For whatever reason, I didn't get myself pumped up but was still happy to be there.  As the gun went off, I quickly settled in and ran comfortably throughout the first mile.  As I hit the mile mark in 5:29, I became rather frustrated thinking that the effort felt faster.  Right around the mile mark, Mr. Puddin' went cruising by me and looked strong.  As I struggled, my primary goal was to stay as close to him as I could and maintain position on other runners.  After looping around the cone, it felt like all places were set and it was time to march back along the sea wall towards the finish.  Like many others stated, the Towers felt like they would never come.  Approaching the last half mile, I felt like I was starting to close in on Puddin', but it was too late.  Being in no-man's land and knowing I wasn't running well, I witnessed Justin's plight with the sub 17 barrier before I crossed the line myself.  A weird day indeed...I felt slow out there, but also felt efficient.

On a positive note, WTAC tore up the team competition and this reminded me of why I came in the first place. Enjoyed the post race festivities and was especially grateful for the replenishing we received for taking the team competition.

Monday, February 4th
6+ on local roads and down through the beach.  Solid effort, especially post race.

Tuesday, February 5th
60 minutes of yoga.  Felt good!

Wednesday, February 6th
a.m. 100 pushups in 7 minutes flat.
p.m. Workout Wednesday..well sort of..
3 miles with Lulu in about 20 minutes
10X1 minute hard/1 minute easy
Slog home
(7+)
Thursday, February 7th
445 light 4 miler on the treadmill.

Friday, February 8th
13+ mile run with Gazelle and Muddy.  We met at the Brandford School, cruised through Grills Preserve, and then continued on to Woody Hill as the snow started to come to down.  This run was simply awesome.
                                        Woody Hill with Muddy...as Jeff was Gazellin'
                                             Picture hi-jacked from Gazelle's Blog


Saturday, February 9th
5+ miles post Blizzard on Weekapaug roads.  I believe there was still a driving ban when I headed out, but no one said anything about running ban!  As I cruised through neighborhoods, some of the snow shovelers stopped an kind of gave me a funny look.  One guy even said, "You get em Rock, keep at it."  Thanks buddy, I will.  Another fun run..oh yeah, I shoveled for about 4 hours as well.

Blizzard by the beach..there is still space out there for all of you sun worshipers!








Weekly Miles: 44
Lulu's Miles: 3
Core/Strength/Stretch: 80 minutes

YTD Miles: 214
Lulu: 35

Synopsis:
Highs-WTAC win at Super 5k, Friday morning run, post blizzard run by the beach, stretching, less hip pain than I have had all year!
Lows-no solid speed workout, not getting Lulu out there more.

2 comments:

  1. Racing is fun. Just think, you're one "step" closer to becoming a beast again. Getting faster and stronger by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to mention here that I'm kicking myself for not kicking myself to get my act together sooner this morning...great Super 5K recap, though, by the way! In my top 5 favorite races...

    ReplyDelete