Product

Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 17th through February 23rd-Portrait of an Achiever

Trying to keep focus, I have been trying to dedicate a theme to each week of my training.  This week's theme comes from the life of Abraham Lincoln and it is titled Portrait of an Achiever.  I first came across this inspirational example during my junior year of high school during track season.  One day the assistant coach, Tom Rivet, came over to me and said, "Here Tommy, I want you to have this card."  He gave me a little business card with the information about the 16th President of the United States.  As I moved through college and into adulthood, I always kept a copy of this message somewhere.

In sports and life, you constantly face ups and downs.  In the world of endurance sports, there is no such thing as immediate gratification.  You have to work for it.  Some days you have to suffer.  Some days you will fail to meet your goals.  Keep moving, keep pushing, and don't quit.  "A quitter never wins and a winner never quits."

Portrait of an Achiever
1831 He Failed in Business - Bankruptcy.
1832 Defeated for Legislature.
1834 Failed in Business again - Bankruptcy.
1835 Sweetheart and Fiancee died.
1836 Nervous Breakdown.
1838 Defeated in an Election.
1843 Defeated for U.S. Congress.
1846 Defeated again for U.S. Congress.
1848 Defeated once again for U.S. Congress.
1855 Defeated for U.S. Senate.
1856 Defeated for U.S. Vice President.
1858 Defeated again for U.S. Senate.
1860 Elected President of the United States. 

... Abraham Lincoln 

You cannot fail...UNLESS you quit!

Sunday, February 17th
P90x-Legs & Back-60 minutes
Warmed up by trying to work out some trigger points on the foal roller.  I started sweating just sitting there.  After my own warm-up, I jumped into the program.  Tons of body weight squats and lunges in various directions along with pull-ups.  The focus of every one of these workouts seems to be muscle confusion.  You are always changing angles and hitting different areas of the body.  Fortunately, the time went by quickly.  I was really feeling the burn on the pull-ups after yesterday's session.  I would have rather done the plyometric routine today, but figured that would have really trashed my body and would have not helped me get my legs back.   Really wish running was the activity of choice today.

Monday, February 18th-Happy President's Day
a.m. 3 miles controlled on the treadmill.  I could feel the tightness above my knee, but it was no where near the pain I was feeling on Friday.  Foam rolled before and after.

p.m. Strength workout...
-200 push-ups in 18 minutes from various angles.  This was really hard.
-Circuit: ab exercise, shoulder press, bentover row
-Finished with some foam rolling. If this injury is in fact IT band, I have read that foam rolling is quite helpful.

While doing this workout, I jammed out to ACDC.  Would any of my "older" friends out there have gotten down to this back in the day?



  
Tuesday, February 19th
P90x Plyometrics-60 minutes.
All sorts of jumps, squats, and leg exercises.
I was slightly nervous about  doing this workout with the state of my leg.  It actually went really well and I didn't have any problems.  The movements felt pretty good and will hopefully improve my range of motion.

Wednesday, February 20th
a.m. 20 minutes of stretching
p.m. work ruined my chances of a workout.

Thursday, February 21st
a.m. P90x Chest & Back
p.m. 4 mile loop on local roads.  No major soreness! Nice to be out on the roads despite the wind.

Friday, February 22nd
60 minutes of yoga...solid workout that incorporated some really good hip openers.

Saturday, February 23rd
5 mile beach loop from my house with Lulu.  Our pace was just under 7 minutes per mile.  Per Lulu's request, we made sure to cut into Fenway Beach to go run in the sand.  Tightness rolled in after about 25 minutes of running.  It was really windy down by the water.   Just think, warm weather is only about three months away!  15 minute stretch postrun.


Weekly Totals:
Miles: 12
Lulu's miles: 5
Lulu walks: 2
P90x: Legs & Back (60 Minutes), Plyometrics (60 minutes), Chest & Back (50 minutes)
Core/Stretch/Yoga: 135 minutes

YTD Miles: 258
Lulu: 40
 I should probably start tracking my YTD cross training since I do so much of it.

Synopsis:
From a running standpoint, this week was a bummer.  The leg tightness shows signs and symptoms of IT band (although I am by no-means a medical professional).  I have scheduled a consult with Olympic Physical Therapy and Orthotics in Wakefield in a couple weeks to look at my orthotics and possible pinpoint what is going on with me.  My main point of going to Olympic is for the orthotic piece.  If I end up doing PT, I'd prefer somewhere more local that I can fit around my work schedule.

As for core work, I did well this week.  The P90x is fun, challenging, and feeds my drive to push myself.  Yoga class was really good and I was most pleased with some of the hip openers we did.  

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them in concert with ZZ Top - great work out tunes
    From one of your OLDER friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in black
    I hit the sack
    I've been too long
    I'm glad to be back.

    AC/DC - Oh yeah, used to listen to Back in Black, Highway to Hell, etc., in the high school years. Haven't listened to them in a while, but jammed to many a AC/DC song prior to high school soccer games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Plyo went well for you. I've stayed away from it because of the calf/achilles but I think I'm going to give it a shot next week. I tweaked my wrist and it's the one P90X workout I know I can do with a bum wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highway to Hell and Back in Black were my first two albums as a kid, big AC/DC fan. Great music to work out to, especially for us "older" dudes!

    ReplyDelete