Product

Sunday, April 8, 2012

April 8th through April 14th

Sunday, April 8th
Happy Easter!
5+ miles....cruised  on A1A (the strip) with Kelsey and followed up with another 3 solo on the beach. Followed up this run by plummeting into the Atlantic.

As I ran on A1A, the following Vanilla Ice lyrics kept re- playing in Tmy head.

"Yo so I continued to a1a Beachfront Ave"

Another line from the song goes like this:
"Rockman lovers driving Lamborghinis"
Sure enough, in a very short period of time I saw at least three lamborghinis.  So far a very fun place.  The beach is great for running, but I wouldn't exactly call this area runner friendly just yet.

Monday, April 9th
7 miles
A.M.
Back to A1A for the first part of my run with Kelsey...I can't get over how many hotels are on the strip.  All of the "workout" people are doing their morning thing (walking, power walking, running, biking, rollerblading).  It's interesting to see...you see all shapes and sizes.  I did the second part of the run on thick sand on the beach.  The sand on Ft. Lauderdale Beach is pretty awesome and it felt good to run barefoot.  The sand was extra thick from the "beach groomer" which made for some nice resistance training.  As I ran down the beach, it was gently raining.  By the time I finished the sun was blazing.  I love Florida!

P.M.
Margarita Madness

Tuesday, April 10th
4 miles
First part of my run was with Kelsey on A1A..I had no love for the concrete today. Followed by 10 minutes of 30 second sprints and 30 seconds of rest in the beach sand.  While the workout was short, it was intense.

Wednesday, April 11th
3 miles on Pompano Beach...harder running through this sand.

Thursday, April 12th
4+ miles
Pompano Community Park.
20 minute run with Kelsey, followed by 6X500m on a turf practice field w/1 minute walk recovery.  I was feeling the Florida sun during this one.

It was nice to see a park that was completely geared towards physical fitness.  In general, I have not came across too much open space in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  It was neat to see the "stations" along the 1.25 mile gravel track. PCP offers a aice alterative to the gym that allows people to add some creativity to their routine and they also don't have to worry about tons of traffic.


Friday, April 13th
3 miles/Various Fitness Stations at Pompano Community Park w/Kelsey.
Stations consisted of: push-ups, pull-ups, kicks, prisoner squats, abs, basketball court sprint sequences, monkey bars, etc.

After yesterday, we really wanted to give the stations a shot to see what it felt like. While this workout had a running base, it was definitely a little unorthodox.  While the total workout took about 30 minutes, I was feeling it by the end.

I always think about doing these kinds of workouts in RI, but never end up doing them.  I'm hoping this experience will motivate me to try more like it.

Saturday, April 14th
0
Red eye flight, sick girlfriend, & trying to get things back together...thought about it, but it wasn't realistic today..exhausted. 

Weekly mileage: 26
I was very happy to just stay active in Florida.  I definitely enjoyed running on the beach and Pompano Community Park.  Besides those two places, South Florida is not a runner's paradise.  Maybe I should have ventured out to the Everglades and tangled with some Gators?!?  Overall a fun vacation.  With a very busy week of work, I hope to get my mileage back up to 40 this upcoming week.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you'll find some good running routes down there. It's always cool to run in a new locale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "bumper to bumper the avenue's packed, trying to get away before the jackers jack"

    Be safe down there.

    ReplyDelete