Product

Monday, August 1, 2016

The Blessing


The Blessing is a Rhode Island Classic.  In my opinion, the race stands as the ultimate measuring stick for runners in our little state.  I had two successful races back in 2003 and 2004 down in Gansett but I haven't been back since.  I had plenty of excuses not to come back over the years (injuries, distance, lack of interest, etc.).  After watching my WTAC teammates compete and excel in this race over the past few years, I decided that, if healthy, this was my year to come back.

I can't say I did any specific training for this race and focused my efforts on overall aerobic fitness and TRI training.  I had one simple goal in mind-break 60 minutes or bust.  Much to my surprise, I was assigned bib # 7 based off some really old performances.  I kind of chuckled at the number knowing it didn't really mean all that much but it also made me think about the past.  I thought to myself, "what would I do to run this race in 56 today?"  Quite frankly, I don't think I appreciated it enough back then.  I thought about it for a little more and told myself to move on and focus on the here and now.

After waiting around most of the day, I head up to Gansett and hung out with Muddy and Jonny pre-race.  We went for a light warmup and were all in agreement that it was going to a hot night.  We headed to the starting line, caught up with Mikey, Gazelle, Matthew, and other WTACers, and it was go time!

Miles 1-4
The gun went off quick and I tried to settle in.  I knew there were some real studs in this race and that it was going to go out like a track meet.  I quickly spotted Matthew right near me and told myself to settle down.  Jonny also had a strong start and I was about 15 runners back from him.  I tried to run "easy" through mile 1 (5:44) and focused on settling in for mile 2 and beyond.  Through mile 2 (5:56) a ton of race jockeying continued on.  I was getting closer to Jonny and hoped to move up next to him to either run with him or do some of the work.  By mile 3 I was able to get up with Jonny and was feeling it. Although I knew it was going to be a long race, I thought of the prospect of being able to work with Jonny and Muddy through the race.  My splits for miles 3 and 4 were 5:50 and 5:58.

Miles 5-8
By the time I was made it to mile 5, I was slowing down.  Throughout the race to this point, I hit just about every water stop or ran under any hose that was out there.  Regardless of how much I drank or how I wet I tried to get, nothing was enough.  Running on 108, I was hating the race.  My splits were getting slower and I felt like I was getting weaker. I hit my 5 with a split of 6:04 and the halfway point around 29:45.  I knew the prospect of breaking 60 wasn't going to get any easier.  I just wanted to get off 108 and stopped paying attention to my watch splits because I knew they weren't good.
Splits were 6 (6:18, slowest of the day), 7 (6:03, and 8 (6:08).

I think I drank at almost every water stop and it still didn't feel like enough.
Photo courtesy of Beth E.


Miles 9-10
Reaching mile 9 was hopeful.  I wasn't feeling any faster but knew the finish wasn't too far away. Spectators were encouraging and it was a block party type atmosphere.  Even though I was getting close, I still took any water I could get.  I crossed mile 9 in 6:02 and actually passed two guys. Encouraging but it didn't mean much.  I just wanted to finish.  Prior to hitting mile 9, I thought my goal of breaking 60 was completely out the window but it did remain a possibility.  The problem was that I was running on empty.  I'd try to get as close as I could but just wasn't sure.  I finally crossed the line in 60:15.  Ran my last mile in 5:51.  Overall place was 31st.

Finally in the home stretch.  I felt like I had no gas left in the tank.
Photo courtesy of Jana W.


Over 60 minutes..err.  At least I was done.
Photo courtesy of Beth E.


Thoughts
-Despite the nasty humidity and dew point, I was still disappointed with not breaking 60 minutes.  I know I wasn't far off but the bottom line is that I didn't meet it.
-I was satisfied with my overall placing and I can't think of anything differently I would have done tactically.
-The atmosphere was like a block party.  Spectators were extremely supportive with manning water stops and spraying down runners with hoses.  Take those stops away and it could have been a really bad day out there.
-The 10 mile race distance is fantastic.
-WTAC still did quite well.  Here are some observations-
Matthew-12th overall-57:42 and just getting faster and faster.  I think he would have been under 56 on a nice night.
Muddy-37th. 1:01:31. Would have been a few minutes faster on a better night.  Still placed really high.
Jonny-40th. 1:02:10. Ditto my comments about Muddy.  He also placed 3rd in his division.  If you are placing at the Blessing, I'm impressed.
Jonny E.-49th. 1:03:10.  Another fast young guy!
Gazelle-81st. 1:04:58.  1st in his division.  Definitely would have ran minutes faster as well.
Mikey-157th. 1:10:53.  Worked hard on a tough night.  Ditto my comments about minutes faster on a cooler night.
*With over 2400 finishers, I think we would have held our own in a team competition.
-Mile 6 was the slowest for almost all of us.
-I love and hate this race.
-I hope to be back next year to get under 60 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Still a pretty darn good race, Tommy. It's too bad the weather wasn't better; it would've been fun to see how fast you all would've run. Also, I'm still stunned at how quick you were in '03 and '04. Those were some phenomenal times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, despite the awful heat and humidity at the 2016 edition, this is still one of my favorite races. Hope it becomes part of your annual race circuit, as well.

    ReplyDelete