Product

Monday, May 30, 2016

My first marathon

Prior to the race
After years of various running misfortune, the thought of actually running a marathon was starting to slip away.  For Boston 2005 I received complimentary entry,unfortunately my result was a DNS due to injury).  Fast forward to Hartford 2014, I was registered and hoping to run but landed another DNS due to injury.  Get the picture here?  Marathons just aren't my thing.  I'd always tell people that I thought I had the endurance, but I did not have the ability to train long distance.

As the beginning of 2016 approached, I set out a goal to help Shara train for Boston.  I knew training for a marathon can be lonely, especially on those winter long runs.  As each week approached, I wondered if one of those injuries was going to pop up.  The training formula Shara and I put together was simple..a weekly workout (nothing too heavy or fast), the long run, a core (off) day, and lots of medium regular paced runs mixed into it.  Once Shara started to taper for Boston, the thought of running the Providence Marathon became a reality.  All I had to do is train for a couple of more weeks and stay healthy.  Cautious for the fear of getting burnt by another injury, I didn't register for Providence until a week before.  My goals were simple: A. Finish and not get injured, B. Run a BQ, and C. Run Sub 3.

Race day 
At about 5 in the morning, Shara and I headed up to Providence for my big race.  Driving up I just tried to relax and wondered what would happen after the 20 mile mark.  My game plan was simple-run safe.  Don't bite off more than you can chew and running a marathon can be a very humbling experience.  After waiting in the car to stay warm, we met up with my parents and hung out at the starting line.  Prior to the race I hung out with Jeff Vuono (running marathon #41), Shara, and my parents.  Race organizers played the national anthem, we lined up and Thunderstruck by ACDC came on.  I was loving it.

First half
I couldn't believe but the first mile of the race felt like a track meet.  Lots of people shot off the starting line and jockeyed for position.  I just tried to settle in and let the race come to me.  My goal was just to run along and get in a groove..anywhere from 6:35 to 6:45 pace.  I found a small pack to run near at about mile 3.  Two Northeastern runners and a red headed dude.  Running right through 10 miles with these guys, I was amazed to never see the Northeastern kids take on nutrition.  The red headed dude, who let me know he was trying to run sub 2:55, was taking gu every few miles and seemed to play it smart.  As for me, I drank when I felt like it and took a gummy every 4 miles.   As I ran through the first half of the course, here are some events that took place:

-Between mile 5 & 6, I was surprised to see BLS on her bike and cheering me on.  Climbing one of the early hills on the course, it was a big boost for me to see her friendly face.

-As we were running towards Bullocks Point in East Providence an army of fire trucks were racing to a scene of some emergency.  It seemed like engines kept coming out of nowhere for 10 minutes

-The Bullocks Point loop was enjoyable.  However, there was one turn around that was not well marked.  I approached one runner who had been ahead of me the whole time and listened to him drop major F bombs about the course.  In less than a minute, this runner was in the rear view mirror.  He still sounded ripped.

-I kept reminding myself that I wasn't racing anybody except myself.  You can't run a marathon on guts, you have to use your brain.  Enjoy the moment.

-I saw Shara and my parents at Mile 12..another huge lift.

-The red headed dude and I hit the halfway point in 1:25.  We both were pumped about it but knew there was work ahead.

Splits through 13.1
6:28,  6:30, 6:35, 6:22, 6:34, 6:33, 6:29, 6:21, 6:28, 6:28, 6:22, 6:29, 6:30-1:25 through 13.1

Hi Beth!


The Second Half
While I was very happy with the condition I was in at 13.1, I knew the real race was ahead of me.  I was really hoping to work with the red headed dude as long as I could.   We could help each other out and pull one another along.  I started to communicate with him more to articulate my intentions of working with him.  I still didn't mention a time goal-just that we were cruising at a good pace and should work together.  I saw Shara and my parents again and was feeling great at mile 15.  Unfortunately my partnership with the red headed dude didn't last as long as I'd hoped.  After 15, he started to drop back.  I slowed for a short bit and encouraged him to "hop on my back."  He wasn't able to do it and I made the decision to go.

With about 10 miles to go, I was feeling great but thinking about hitting the wall.  Anything beyond 20 miles was unknown territory for me and I didn't exactly do workouts to mimic late race fatigue.  I worked on and kept focus.  At mile 18, I was very pleasantly surprised to see my friends Jeff & Jana Walker.  Upon seeing them, I thought about how thoughtful it was for them to take time out of their weekend to see me run.  This was another huge lift and I continued to feel great.

Mile 18. Thrilled to see the Gazelle's. 
Shortly after seeing Jeff & Jana (around mile 20 to be exact), I was starting to feel it. I saw BLS again and she offered me encouraged as I raced on.  There were some tough hills in the mix at this point and I could feel my body weaken.  "Don't let up," I kept telling myself.  I did not want to give in to the wall.  Once again, I saw Jeff & Jana and despite not feeling well at all, I was still really happy to see them.  Jeff coached me up a bit. I just tried to settle into a sustainable pace.  Crossing back into the city, all I could think about was the finish.  My body was trashed.  I was now crossed up with half marathoners and not enjoying zig zagging around runners as I tried to work towards the finish line.  As I approached those last few miles, I knew I had finishing the race in the bag.  I was still unsure what my body was going to do but knew that finishing under 3 was quite realistic.  I tried to take in the last mile as much as possible and crossed the finish in 2:52:22 (6:34/mile) and good for 10th place overall.
Coach Walker..trying to bail out his buddy
Enter the pain cave.  Smile gone


2nd half splits
6:31, 6:27, 6:19, 6:20, 6:22, 6:29, 6:23, 6:41, 6:42, 6:53, 7:12, 7:08, 7:03, .2 (7:00 pace)

I was immediately pretty satisfied with my time when I finished.  Feeling tired and tight, I gave some quick thought to my race strategy and all of the supporters who helped me along the way.  From training runs, to well wishes, to showing up on race day to cheer me on, I really appreciate the support.  For me, the race was a team effort and I have many to thank for it.  Some people I have to thank-my parents, the Walker's, BLS, Jeff Vuono, Mikey B, and Jeff Duda.

*Please note: Race day was also Shara's Birthday.  I am especially thankful for all of her support and for giving me the motivation to get to the starting line.
My 1st, his 40th. Humbling.

Happy Birthday Shara!
Thanks Mom & Dad. I did it!

Post race aspirations
I want to run more marathons...When?  I'm not sure.  I'm still skeptical of getting hurt and am trying to play it smart.  A month out from the race, I'm still not locked into jumping back into a semi-hard training cycle for any type of race.  Time will tell.



3 comments:

  1. Great job Tom! Sounds like you ran a smart race and I'm sure all the support during the race was a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well run and recapped! You looked good at mile 20, a little concerned for what the last 10K had to offer, still had a little of the smirk left. From what I know about splits and pacing for a goal I was sure at that point you had a huge BQ nailed for the finish! Glad to offer a little help for a HUGE accomplishment. Well done! And I'm glad Mikey let the cat out of the bag to me, I had a really good time cheering on some co-workers and WTAC'rs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, my friend! Very happy for you to conquer the marathon. Your consistent training paid off handsomely.

    ReplyDelete