Product

Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13th through April 19th

Sunday-Thin Mint Sprint 5k, West Palm Beach, 16:58, 1st place
Results
I've always wanted to run a race in Florida and today that opportunity came true.  After a previous long day of traveling that finally commenced at 1 am, Shara and I woke up at 530 am and ventured off to Okeeheelee Park for the Thin Mint Sprint 5k.  We arrived at the race, picked up our swag, and opted for a very lethargic warmup.  Lining up at the start was anti-climatic as tiredness took over.  Before we knew it, the horn went off and I took the immediate lead.  I was nervous about navigating the course as there were no maps or directions given prior to the race.  Fortunately, the a biker lead the race so I had someone to follow.  After hitting the mile in a little over 520, I started to feel the unfamiliar humidity.  With no one in sight, I ran in no man's land for the remainder of the race.  The course followed a curvy, uneven bike path and at times, it felt like it was never going to end.  I think this feeling was partly due to my unfamiliarity with the area.  Over the last half mile, I was able to pick up the pace and finish strong.  After collecting my thin mints (given to all finishers) I went back over to the finish line to watch Shara rock the women's race in 20:21.

Despite exhaustion, this was a very fun experience.  The course was scenic, the race was well organized, and we even scored $50 gift certificates to a local running shop.

Monday-6 mile run on the A1A strip in Ft. Lauderdale.  Not the best planned run as I started the run at 12 pm with 90 degree temps.  Sights and scenery made the run fun.  Later in the afternoon, Shara and I went for a 1/2 ocean swim..it was really choppy out there and she kicked my butt.

Tuesday-15 minute warmup, 8X400 w/35 second jog rest, 15 minute warmdown..did this one on an area soccer field near Shara's parents' house. (6)

Wednesday-6 miler from Shara's parents' house..ran area roads back to soccer fields and randomly did 11 pick-ups to pass some time.  Normally, I would have ventured out to area parks to explore their Fit Trails and mix things up.  However, someone (who says she doesn't have to worry about it because she has African skin) got really burnt up by the the hot Florida sun and now needs to take a couple of days off from running.  Later in the day, we went for a cruise in West Palm and tried paddle boarding (much fun).

Thursday-another 6 miles on roads..toured different neighborhoods...very humid morning with thunderstorms in the forecast.  Followed up this one with a quick dip in the pool and then shot off on some Everglades touring before heading back up North.  Fun trip!

Friday-back to RI and back to the cold.
3 mile easy run with Lulu, followed up by an 11 mile bike ride w/Shara.

Saturday-7 mile Misquamicut run through the beach and finishing up at Champlain Glacier Park. Nice spring morning that made me feel spoiled to live here.  In the afternoon, Shara and I went for a 14 mile laid back bike spin.

Totals:
Run-7X, 39 miles
Lulu miles: 1X, 3 miles
Bike: 2X, 25 miles
Swim: 1X, 1/2 mile (ocean swim)
Fun had: lots! Very solid April break.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work grabbing the victory in unfamiliar territory. Don't forget to use those certificates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job out there! Always fun to run a destination race. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete