Product

Sunday, January 6, 2013

January 6th through January 12th

Sunday, January 6th
Resolution 5k Beach and Trail Race, 19:03 4th
Overall results
Cool race, tough day.  After waking up with a sinus headache that just wouldn't let up, Kelsey and I headed off to our first race of 2013.  Going into the race, my main goal was to take down those pesky Tuesday Night Turtles.  Before the race, I warmed up for about a mile and then chatted it up with my WTAC teammates.  Once the race got underway, the WTAC Guys were all out front.  As we approached the first mile, I passed through in about 5:48 and was battling it out with two TNT guys and Muddy.  Once we hit the road portion before Black Point, the top three guys put some distance on me and I could hear a runner in close pursuit of me.  Knowing today was not my day, I was hoping that that runner was Jonny or Jeff (or both).  Sure enough, it was Jonny.  In the middle of the Black Point trails, which were a bit tricky to maneuver with the ice and snow, Jonny made a move on me.  I told myself to try my best to just stay near him with the hope that no more turtles would pass me.  Chasing Jonny, I could hear another runner or two right on my back.  "Please be Jeff," I told myself.  I never looked back and kept running.  Once back on the beach, I knew I would fare a bit better and was able to catch up with Jonny and hold off whoever was in pursuit.  I ended up crossing the finish line just ahead of Jonny.  Right after Jonny, two other runners crossed the line and one of them turned out to be a turtle.  Shortly after them, Jeff crossed the line in 8th place.  The turtles ended up taking positions 1, 3, and 6 while the good guys took positions 2, 4, 5.  Unfortunately, we ended up losing the team battle.   I was disappointed in my performance but happy with how my teammates ran.

Kelsey ended up comfortably winning the women's race in a time of 21:35.  I was especially pleased with her performance considering the conditions and the time she ran.  Prior to this fall, she was running 21s on the roads.  She is now running in the 19s for a 5k  on the road and doing quite well in just about any competition.

Finished up with a 3 mile warmdown with teammates.  I didn't feel my best today or race well, but this race serves as motivation for me.
(7)

 
                                        Turtles...we are coming to get you!

Monday, January 7th
6+ miles on area roads in the dark on local roads.  Ended up running at 6:24 per mile.  I was definitely feeling better today and intended on just going for a recovery run, but things changed once I got going.

Tuesday, January 8th
Yoga..90 minutes

Wednesday, January 9th
7+ Workout Day
Warmed up by going for a 3.5 mile warmup with Lulu on local roads.  After dropping Lulu off at the house, I proceeded to doing 8X250m hills with jog down rest. Solid workout, decided not to track splits and just focus on effort.  Felt beat at the end.

Thursday, January 10th
5+ with Kelsey and Lulu on local roads.  Very tight right upper quad.  Tried to dull the pain with some icy hot post run.

Friday, January 11th
445 Club.  7 miler with the Gazelle from his house through Chin Hill, No Bottom Pond neighborhoods, and down to Misquamicut.  We were definitely cruising on this run and ended up dropping a 6:12 somewhere in there without even realizing it.  The only thing that kept us honest was running close to a mile on the beach.  As we crossed through the state beach parking, it almost felt like I didn't know where I was with all of the damage and dirt piles from Hurricane Sandy.  Sweet run and great way to start my Friday.

Saturday, January 12th
4+ miler with Lulu on local roads down to Fenway Beach and by the new Weekapaug Inn.  It was quite humid for a January afternoon.
"I have goals too!"
Weekly Totals:
Miles: 36
Lulu's miles: 13
Yoga: 90 minutes

YTD miles: 58    
Lulu: 14


No comments:

Post a Comment