Product

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Thoughts on the Training Process..Start thinking about your body

Having been a student of the sport of running for more than half of my life, I have either read or heard it all when it comes to training plans.  Here are some common ones I've heard through the years: The only way your going to have a break through is if you run high mileage (College & Literature), do speed workouts daily (high school), run on your toes (high school), cross-train more and train less (Runner's World), and so many more.

I've been sitting on the injury heap for about five weeks at this point.  Prior to my latest injury, I was working towards running times at various distances that I felt were respectable for my ability level.  I was also having a ton of fun (workouts, long runs, racing, camaraderie with teammates and fellow runners).  My training was basic and allowed to be race whenever I wanted.  When general soreness came about, I took notice and usually took rationale action.  All in all, things were going well.

Unfortunately for me, something was missing from my training plan.  Based upon my body and past issues, I should have known.  I'm a tight dude!  If I don't have some kind of on-going stretching regimen in my program, then I'm going to pay for it (probably on the left side of my body).  Maybe I should be going to a weekly yoga class or maybe I should take some time away from my running every week and work on improving my strength and flexibility.  Could my race performances improve?  Maybe.  Would I be less likely to get injured? Definitely.

I'm chomping at the bit to be out there training and racing, but my body isn't ready.  Moving forward, I plan on training smarter.  It isn't about completing a specific workout or hitting a certain number of miles in a week.  It's about creating a program that works!

It's easy for us runners to get caught up in training plans that are going to lead towards certain results.  Reality says that some training plan or magazine article is not going to speak to your individual training needs.  An Olympic Track Runner is different than you.  Think about it...the majority of us work full time jobs, have families and homes to take care, we don't have the world's best doctor's and physical therapist at our leisure for treatment and advice, and our world's certainly don't revolve around our next training run (even though we wish they did). Maybe you're a high mileage guy.  Maybe strength work should be a priority.  Maybe you are tight as a board like me.  Maybe you are a genetic freak who can handle whatever comes your way. The bottom line is that you need to constantly assess how you feel and determine your body needs.  By doing all the right things, let's minimize injury and stay in the game.

Happy Running

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Sometimes I get caught up in achieving weekly mileage goals. However, I'm also not afraid to bag a workout or modify a run if I'm not feeling 100%. Although I feel like a quitter sometimes, my body always thanks me for it. A side note of constructive criticism re: your above post, you forgot to include two things: 1) drink beer, 2) take naps. I excel at both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well stated. My goal that I sometimes need to remind myself is to keep running fun.

    ReplyDelete