Product

Saturday, January 1, 2022

2021-22

 2021 in Review

2021 was one of my poorest running years ever.  After battling injuries in 2020, my achilles and knee presented even more challenges in 2021.  It ended up getting bad enough that I decided to shut it down on January 21st after both injury issues were really wrecking havoc on my running and until March 30th with a whooping 1.5 miler.  From March 30th through the summer wasn't drastically better with a series of starts and stops and probably an average of 13-15 miles of running a week.  As the fall came around, things slowly and gradually improved.  I'm glad to report that I finished the year with a few 30 mile weeks, which hopefully bodes well for my 2022 running.

So how did I cope?

When my running down, I knew I'd lose my mind with boredom if I just rode the stationary bike in my basement for x amount of time everyday and maybe did some PT stretches.  To challenge myself, I did a modified version of P90x that took out any plyometrics and explosive lower body work.  I mixed in regular weight lighting and the stationary bike in the routine.  P90x was challenging and relatively fun and I was thankful it carried me well into the spring.

2020 to 21 comparison

Totals

Run

Bike 

Swim

2020

1171 miles

1127 miles

36798 yds

January through mid March

2021

825 miles

1431 miles

41054 yds

Late July-December


* I don't keep track of hours of weight/PT work I complete but I bet time spent on these activities would dominate 2021 for me.

Accomplishments/Things that Went Well

  • WTAC Tom McCoy Fun Runs: I ran every single fun run this past year for the first time ever.  Shara and the girls were weekly participants as well.  While I didn't set out to make every run, I definitely started to aim for it as the season moved along.  I had some dicey weeks (i.e. not being able to run for 6/7 days before one of the Wednesdays and running after giving blood) but I made it!  I can't say I ran fast down at the beach this year but I sure did have fun and enjoyed all of the events and even jumped in the Bottone Mile.
  • P90x. Explained above.
  • Regular PT exercises.  My knee and achilles still kick up but I have been able to manage both enough as of late to enjoy running again.
  • Family Support/Encouragement-we try to incorporate the girls into as many activities as possible.  They'll even ask me how my run was on some mornings when they wake up.
  • Getting at it early.  It's not always easy but it's my window.
  • Completing "The Murph" on Memorial Day Weekend.  With 90X, I figured 2021 gave me a perfect chance to complete this cross fit challenge.  I even bought a weighted vest for the event.  I hope to continue this challenge again and reflecting on it reminds me I need to keep up with some of the training principles.
  • The Clamdigger 5k in. 18:14.  No, this time isn't fast or impressive but it gave me hope I could still run relatively fast considering it came off almost no running over the past few months.
  • Running with Riley and Lulu.  My loyal friends are still willing to go out there daily with me.  I monitor conditions when I run them (mostly for heat).  I'm lucky to have them and that they like running.
  • Inspiring friends.  Jeff, Chris, and JV for their accomplishments, dedication, and hard work.
  • Doing a DIY TRI with Chris & Mike.  When plans to compete it other official TRIs fell apart, we planned this out in September at Burlingame. I had to ride this bad boy on my hybrid but it was still a blast.
Plans/Goals for 2022
  • Run more.  It would be a sign that I'm able to manage my injury issues.
  • Push myself at least 1X a week while running.
  • Continue incorporating strength training
  • Continue to involve the girls and dogs in my running
  • Swim 1x/week.  Such a great activity, just hard to stay disciplined to keep at it.
  • Enjoy my girls 
  • Run, bike, swim with friends. 
  • Complete more DIY Tris and fun multi-sport events
  • Keep up with my running when the new baby arrives while enjoying her
  • Do The Murph Workout at least once.
  • Keep it fun.
Year in Pictures

   
Fun Runs


                                                                BI on a tandem.  Fun day!

                                                                Shara after running the Bobby Doyle Race

                                                                Pell Bridge Race.  Tough logistics and super early but fun.


                                                                    Mystic Turkey Trot
                                                                   Team B and Mikey B

Wishing everyone a healthy and wonderful 2022!





1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the setbacks but here's to a fresh start in 2022!

    ReplyDelete