Product

Monday, October 10, 2016

Catching up: ST, Beach Run, OS XC, & Pumpkins

Since I have fallen behind on my blogging, I figured it might be a good idea to write up a brief synopsis of my recent races.  My training has been okay--running has been consistent--but I'm still working out some physical issues (misaligned pelvis, neck/back pain, foot soreness).  While things haven't been great physically, I have been able to race and stay in the game, which is a big upside.  So back to my racing:

Surftown 5k-1st, 17:36
Results
I had to downgrade from the half.  While I was looking forward to running a well organized half marathon on local roads, moving to the 5k turned out to be a win-win.  Race day weather was absolutely horrible with some serious humidity and heavy winds.  All of a sudden the prospect of running a 5k, seemed pretty smart.

While warming up my foot bothered me.  I told myself to just focus on racing and that even if it hurt, I'd be done pretty quickly.  After hanging with Jeff and Mikey before their race, I had a little time to spend with Shara.  I then headed out to do some strides and ran into Crutch, who was on hand to do some spectating.  As we lined up for the gun, I tried to size up my competition and did not see anyone familiar.  A minute or so later the gun went off and I tried to get out quickly.  Heading out to Ocean View Highway, I ran into a strong headwind and chased the lead car and a biker. As I approached the cone turn around, I was starting to feel fatigued from the steady wind and humidity.  Turning at the cone was a sigh of relief--I no longer had to deal with the wind.  I just focused on the lead bike and tried to stay at a good pace.  Running in the lead always feels great and I was fortunate enough to lead this one from start to finish.

Any win is a good win!


Quick thoughts:
-I was fortunate to have  support out on the course from Shara, Crutch, and Matthew.
-My time was not fast but conditions were definitely impacted by the wind & humidity
-I was happy I did not run the half with the humidity..felt bad for my friends in that race
-Course was a boring out and back
-Glad I did it.

Stavros Beach Run 3 miler, 17:04, 2nd
Results
This annual WTAC events is one of my favorites.  While I never enjoy the end of summer, I enjoy running the beach at low tide in a friendly, low key atmosphere.  I had no intentions of doing anything special at this race, I simply showed up and hoped to get a good workout.  The race had a solid turnout and the WHS XC teams showed up, which greatly increased the numbers.  Off the gun, I was in the lead but only because Matthew was talking it to easy.  He let me know right before the race that he'd be passing me at Mile 2.  Matthew ended up easily passing me at about 1.5 miles and made it look pretty easy out there.  I ended up finishing second and ended up getting the workout I wanted.  Post race I took a quick jump in the water--which probably turned out be my last of the summer.  Congrats to Matthew on another win and Gazelle on a strong 3rd place.



Ocean State XC Trail 5k, 17:43, 2nd
Results
My type of trail running!  This XC race, which is put on by Run Rhody and is sort of an exhibition at a huge school invite, was a fun one.  I love running in the trails of Goddard Park--the only motivation I needed was a couple of teammates to join me.  With Matthew racing in the Boys' Championship Race later in the day, I was able to get Jeff to commit.  Mikey B. later accepted my sales pitch after I reported to him that the trails were they way we liked them, paved...just kidding!  Having Mikey and Jeff gave it a fun, team feel and reminded me of my younger days and all the camaraderie that XC has to offer.

I ran in 2nd place the entire race.  A guy racing with a Rhode Runner singlet took first and I ended up crossing the line feeling pretty good at 17:43.  I really enjoyed all things about this race.  Sure, I would have liked to have run faster but really enjoyed the trails and experience.  While it may be a 40 minute drive from home, I'd consider this one again.  Mikey and Jeff, you in for 2017?


WTAC Run for the Pumpkins Trail 5k, 20:53, 6th
Results
The Run for the Pumpkins is a race that WTAC gave a new lifeline to.  Hard to believe, but I never ran the race while it was a road 5k.  I do remember the race only getting a small amount of participants and seeming like a doomed race.  Due to the hard work of Gazelle and WTAC, the race changed venues to Bradford Preserve and would now be a trail 5k.  With outstanding organization, trail clearing, and a fall like feel to it,  the 2015 installment of this race was an instant hit.  Even a road guy like me ran it!  I ended up coming back again this year to what turned out to be an even better race.  Race participants increased-the Westerly middle and high school teams supported it-the course offered a variety of terrain that made it fun.

As for my racing, I ended up running a minute faster than last year.  Trails are not my strength, but I was happy to be within sight of Jonny and Gazelle for most of the race.  I ran my first and last miles pretty strong and really struggled during the single track, more technical portion of the race.  The race was very well marked and I had fun with it.  After this one, I'm even contemplating doing Lil' Rhody.  Who knows?  Anyway, the 2016 Pumpkins race was a fun one.  Congrats to Matthew on the win and Justin, Jonny, Gazelle, and Mikey B. on some solid racing out there.

and we are off!
Finishing up!  Why couldn't the whole course be in this grass field?

1 comment:

  1. Nice write-up, Tommy. Yes, I'm likely game for the Ocean State XC in '17, especially Matthew will be running there for his senior year.

    ReplyDelete