Product

Friday, November 27, 2015

Pie Run Recap

Newport Pie Run 5 miler
November 26, 2015
Results
29:32

To add to my fall list of races and endurance events that I've always wanted to do, add the Newport Pie Run 5 miler to the list.  Here's why:

1. I love the idea of any Thanksgiving race.  It's a great opportunity to  celebrate being "thankful" for running, fire up some competitive juices, and burning some calories before indulging in a great meal with family.

2. The opportunity to run a race in Newport.  After vacationing and/or living in Rhode Island my entire life, I've never race in one of the coolest areas of the state.

3. I haven't run a Thanksgiving Day Race since 1996. Wilbraham Turkey Trot with my brother.

Back to my report--
Leading up the race, things weren't going well.  I had a really bad cold the week before the race and was still feeling major fatigue and remnants of congestion.  Prior to the race, I told myself just to relax, keep an open mind, and see what happens.  Shara and I warmed up for about a mile running into the wind.  Many notable local runners were on the line as we waited for the gun.

1st half of the race
As the gun went off, I was able to get a solid start before settling in.  Like any big race, there were a ton of runners who flew out.  I didn't really know the course well but could already tell wind would be a serious factor.  Within a half mile of the race, I settled in behind former RI runner, Zac Kudlak, who I had met racing in 2006 when I used to visit my family on weekends.   I sat behind Zac for a short period of time as he negotiated through the wind and decided it was time for me to do some of the work.  I told Zac to tuck in behind me and I'd carry us for a while {I remember him being a nice guy}.  Zac appreciated the gesture and let me know that we would get a break once we turned later on down the road.  Once the turn arrived, the wind did in fact let up for a bit and Zac and Kaela O'Neil pulled away from me.  I reminded myself to keep an open mind but I really wasn't feeling strong. Now running on Sachusett Point Road, I carried on.  As I ran towards the turnaround, the leaders started to run by in the opposite direction and split my attention between the two runners not too far ahead of me and the elites, who looked like they battling the wind after the turnaround.  "Oh boy, something to look forward to," I thought to myself.

2nd half of the race
At the turnaround at 2.7 miles, I could now see the runners who were behind me.  My immediate thought was this would give me the opportunity to see who was hunting me and how strong they looked.  At about 30 seconds back, there looked to be a small pack of dudes running together. Luckily, none of the them looked really strong.  Facing the wind, I continued to carry on as I approached the "monster" hill of the day {Jonny warned me about this hill when we talked last week}.  Looking at the hill, it looked manageable.  Add the fact that the hill was fairly steep,  it carried on for awhile, and the wind was blasting, it turned out to be down right brutal.  Once I crested the top of the hill, I was welcomed by the 4 mile marker.  While I was pretty tired, I did feel a big of a recharge as the course was now on a slight downhill and the wind wasn't as bad.  I crossed the line with no one around in 29:32*.

*Results list a runner finishing 2 seconds ahead of me..not sure how this came about, can only guess he finished behind me but started further back (chip time).

Post race thoughts
-Shara ran another great race and finished as the 4th female, 30th overall in 31:24.
-Disappointing performance-I wanted to run sub 29 but can't say I'm completely shocked considering how I was feeling leading up to the race.
-Splits: 5:39, 5:52 (wind), 5:46,  6:18 (wind & hill-very poor), 5:32
-Would I do this race again? Absolutely.  I didn't run well and don't love the course but liked the atmosphere, early start time, and competition.  Shara enjoyed it as well.
-Still fixated on my 2015 running funk.  I'm concerned about a drop off in performance but consistency is the key.  Prior to September, I had a poor year of injuries and running.  I just need to stay healthy, consistent, and have fun.
-I'm thankful my wife enjoys this kind of stuff, allows me to do it, and runs herself.

Thanks Shara!




1 comment:

  1. That one looks like a fun one, other than that hill! Newport is a favorite place to run for me. You guys have a great time together, its fun to see what you'll be up to next! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete